The path taken towards a new internal communication strategy derives from the new reference context linked to the transformation of business models, technologies and consumer behaviours in TLCs. The “conversion” of the traditional channels to more innovative ways of favouring two-way communication inspired by web-centric logic and promoting the exchange of ideas, dialogue and discussion between members of the corporate community has continued. In this respect the intranet and the company portal are fundamental tools for providing information and implementing formal and informal forms of listening.
The specific communication objectives achieved in 2015 are listed below:
- Communicate the strategy, in order to share the new Group vision and organic design which supports transformation also through the mobilization and involvement of middle management, which guides the process and engages people.
- Organisational identity development, to give substance to the new identity system, in keeping with the renewed positioning and the Group Values, Leadership Model and Employee Value Proposition. See box on page 176.
- Support the implementation of the People Strategy, to meet the expectations of the Telecom Italia people and to enhance the skills capital, as well as to motivate the programmes and actions necessary for transformation towards future skills suited to the Company’s business.
- Engage people, in order to count on their energy, motivation and creativity, and to encourage “positive telling” and new styles of storytelling (positive teller, Archimedes project, Values contest).
- Support the spreading of initiatives designed to satisfy people’s attention/well-being requirements, for a more inclusive and efficient workplace, in line with digital transformation, to promote a work-life balance.
Innovative communication initiatives such as the cascade events system, which monitors the participation, satisfaction, contributions and qualitative results of the meetings planned by the system, have been added alongside the more traditional forms of relationships that in any case continue to be important.
Below is a list of the main traditional and other communication activities carried out during the year:
- the management meeting of 25 March, targeted at the whole company, has marked the start of an intense programme of the dissemination and communication of the company strategies in order to promote greater awareness of the Business plan: through local meetings around 28,000 people were involved in the presentation of the 2015-2017 plan.
- following the management meeting, a number of “instant events” were organised in the company’s main offices by the team of Positive Tellers, the company’s selected “narrators” trained in using the most innovative visual and social network education techniques to disseminate the main business content, and the campaign to communicate the values of the company was continued. In 2015, 300 positive tellers informed 4,000 colleagues through 100 instant events held in 31 locations;
- between April and June, the Departments involved all their people in meetings led by departmental managers to share ways of implementing the main themes of the business plan in their professional context and realising their commitment;
- 25 managerial meetings of the first lines of business, in 12 cities, many of which were reported on the intranet via the news, documents and video highlights;
- a new Local Meetings format was launched in June, during which the company’s Executive Directors and top management present strategies, plans and objectives to an audience of around 1,000 colleagues at each meeting. Four local meetings have been held since the start of the year in Bologna, Milan, Rome and Naples, which each included a moment of celebration to promote and highlight people and cases of business excellence;
- the road shows across Italy continue to disseminate the 2015-2017 People Strategy programme, formalised in a brochure containing illustrative diagrams and summarised data, published on the intranet and distributed by email to all the Group’s employees.
- in May, August and November three Parli@mone events were organised and broadcast online in video-streaming to the whole Company. In these, the company’s Executive Directors continue their dialogue with people and present updates on the main economic data for the quarter, celebrate the results achieved, encouraging improvement;
- in 2014 the ninth edition of the climate survey was carried out in Italy and Brazil, involving the entire companypopulation. The 2014 form included a specific section dedicated to identity. The first half of 2015 was dedicated to presenting the company departments with the main results. The departments then devised improvement plans, which are catalogued and stored in a specific web intranet area;
- the listening system has been boosted by focus groups: during the first half of 2015, over 300 employees were involved. These were representative of the workforce as a whole in terms of their gender, geographical presence and organisation.
In Brazil, 2015 saw numerous internal communication initiatives taken in order to promote integration between people in the workplace, bring them into line with the company’s strategic objectives and improve psychological and physical well- being. For example, the Diversidade Tim campaign aimed to promote diversity and proper, prejudice-free integration, whilst the Campanha de segurança disseminated the key notions of health and safety in the workplace within the Company. Moreover, two new listening initiatives have been launched, Fale com People Value and Focus Groups, in order to improve dialogue between the Company and people, understand the expectations of the latter and improve their physical and mental well-being.